Before writing this post, I had a fun time trying to my boyfriend how to twist my hair. It was fun and ugly-looking at first but after a few tries he made something somewhat presentable.
That inspired this blog post because as easy as twists seem they are actually very easy to mess up. If you do it wrong it’ll keep loosening or looking puffy and weirdly shaped.
What are twists?
They are a form of low-manipulation hairstyle. It is easy to make and takedown, this is why I love using this style so much. I have written a post on what you need to do to use low manipulation styles like twists for natural hair growth.
Twists involve dividing the hair into sections then rotating the hair strands around one another in each section. There are single twists where you just twirl the hair with your fingers, two-strand, three-strand, flat twists. I will be elaborating on flat twists and two-strand twists.
To flat twist is really easy but at first it may be puffy and a little uneven, don’t give up. Practice makes perfect.
- Section hair, one on top and one at the bottom.
- Then take a small part from the both sections and twist flat to the scalp.
- Add little amounts of hair to the twisted sections and keep twist on eachother
- Keep adding more hair to the top section and twisting till you are done.
Two strand twists
- Cut out a small section from the hair.
- Divide the section into two halves, try to make it as equal as possible.
- Twist each part of the strand on its self then twist it on the other strand.
- Keep twisting till you are done with the hair then twirl the tip with your fingers and you can apply castor oil to the ends.
Three-strand twists are done by the same steps in two strand twists. The only difference is dividing each section into three parts and twisting them on each-other.
- Keep lightly pulling on the ends of the hair while twisting.
- Brush the sides of the flat twist and you can apply edge control or leave-in conditioner when laying your edges.
Are you ready to achieve your hair goals?
A drop of black natural hair growth program is designed to take you from where you are on your hair care journey to where you want to be. It is a monthly subscription program run through Patreon. It gives you access to awesome benefits that will help on your hair journey, they include;
- A hair care consultation upon signing up. You will get a personalized hair care regimen after the consultation.
- Weekly webinars and discussions on topics affecting your natural hair journey.
- A private discord group.
- A group Pinterest board.
- A community of naturals to go on challenges with, try out new products, and share experiences or advice.
- Quarterly award ceremonies to members of the program that have been most active and helpful to the other naturalistas in the group.
- Discounts on merch and access to guides whenever they come out.
Did any of that interest you? Then click here to find out more and get enrolled in the program now!
You can also watch any of my previous webinars on YouTube. They will give you a feel of what kind of solid information will be coming your way every week.
So that’s it, guys! Try it yourself and tell me how it went. I hope I’ve been able to help someone.
Have fun, stay protected.
– Drop of black.