Dark circles around the eyes are plain annoying, they make you look tired, older and can be so hard to get rid of.
They are mostly caused by stress or fatigue but they can also be caused by ageing, eye strain, allergies, dehydration, genetics and even over exposure to sunlight. However, The science behind dark circles is that it is caused by dilated blood vessels below the eyes which cause the skin discoloration.
Everybody has probably experienced dark circles at some point in time so I’ve compiled a list of 6 ways to clear dark circles.
How to clear dark circles
- Sleep – This is the number one remedy to try. If stress/fatigue is the cause of your dark circles then getting enough sleep should get rid of them easy.
- Cold compress – A cold temperature will reduce swelling and shrink the dilated blood vessels which will help reduce puffiness and consequently clear the dark circles. Place cold compress on the eyes for about 5 minutes a day.
- Tea bags – I was a little shocked when I first found out about this. The process involves you soaking 2 green or black tea bags in hot water for 5 minutes. Then chill the tea bags in a freezer for 15 – 20 minutes. Place the bags on your shut eyes for about 10 minutes.
- Cucumbers – This is one of the most popular options. All you have to do is slice up the cucumber and place a slice on each eye for 10 to 15 minutes. You can also soak up the cucumber slices in chilled lemon juice for 3-5 minutes before placing on your eyes. Just be careful to not get any lemon juice in your eye, that will sting.
- Rose Water – Soak a cotton pad on rose water for about 3 minutes then place it directly on the eyes for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Coconut oil – Coconut oil has been attributed to a host of benefits and Clearing dark circles is one of them. Massage coconut oil under the eyes before going to bed and rinse it off each morning with lukewarm water.
Have you used any of these before? Which of these will you like to try? Be sure to tell me how it goes. You can reach out to me on Instagram.
Don’t forget to comment and follow me on Instagram for behind the scene of all my blog posts and uploads.
Stay clear, stay healthy.
–Drop of black