So it’s been going round on YouTube and Twitter that ECO Styler gel is cancelled, I honestly decided not to watch the video though YouTube recommended it and I probably wouldn’t have paid attention if halfricanbeaute, my no. 1 hair YouTuber didn’t make a video on it.
Bri Hall’s video was basically telling the viewers about a side effect she noticed which made her search YouTube for an ingredients video and ended up with her reaction to an ingredients video by Alopeciafreewithjass who already cancelled ECO Styler gel since last year may and the other two were basically reactions to Bri Hall’s video.
What I got from these videos were that the chemicals in the gel can cause cancer, clinical depression, migraines, scalp irritation as well as eye irritation amongst others.
First things first, the products in ECO styler gel are; water, carbomer, hydrolized wheat protein, PVP, glycerine triethanolamine, sodium hydroxymethylglycinate, polysorbate 20, yellow 5, tetrasodium EDTA, fragrance.
Side effects of these harmful chemicals
- Skin irritation
- Eye irritation
- Hair irritation
- Itchy watery eyes
- Dry and brittle hair
- Itchy skin
- High dosage and continual use of TEA can cause liver, bladder and other typed of cancer according to animal research.
- Immunity and respiratory toxicant
- Can cause genetic mutation in-vitro.
- Releases formaldehyde
- It is a known carcinogen
- Skin and eye irritant
- Affects respiratory system
In it’s original form is harmless but it is treated with ethyleenoxide which may cause it to be contaminated with 1,4 dioxane which is linked to skin allergies, is a known animal carcinogen which absorbs readily into the skin and is linked to developmental and reproductive toxicity in animal studies.
- Made up of substances known to cause cancer
- Breaks down skin protective layer making it easy for potentially harmful ingredients to penetrate.
- It in itself isn’t absorbed into the skin but it breaks down the protective skin layer making other absorbable ingredients penetrate into the skin, tissues or blood system.
- Can cause eczema for sensitive skin
- Eye irritant
This is tricky because you don’t know what fragrance is being used, whether it is organic or not and what kind of effect it may have on your body.
Yellow 5 (tartrazine)
This ingredient comes from coal tar and petroleum, it has been banned in a lot of European countries but companies use it because it is very cheap.
- Linked to asthma
- Thyroid cancer
- Clinical depression
- Blurred vision
- Unexplainable itchiness of skin
- Purple spots on skin
Although it is said that we won’t necessarily be at risk if these products are used in tiny amounts there are other things to consider like;
- How long these products stay in our body.
- How these products react to medications and other products we use or consume.
- How these products will react to already existing medical issues
It is an age long saying to read the ingredients in whatever product you’re using and what not and to be very honest nobody has that time but what I’m going to be doing now is sticking to “natural or organic products” and trying my best to make my gels at home or patronize people who make their gels or products from natural ingredients.
There are so many people who take time to make these things from organic products and all that and this is time for me to acquaint myself with these people and patronize when I can. DIY may be stressful or you may not have time but it’s the best bet.
Links for further reading
www.annmariegianni.com (polysorbate 20)
The YouTube videos
Stay beautiful, Stay you
–Drop of black